Automatic train control - Shenandoah Division

Wed Aug 21 22:11:38 EDT 2019

1956 is too early for a J to be running out its remaining time. 1957 saw the dropping of the main line locals like 7-8 and 9-10, and The Cavalier was cut back west of Williamson. January 1958 saw Southern diesels take over the Lynchburg-Bristol runs.  By then the J's were fitted with brakeman's dog house to run in freight service.  Lewis Newton has written about how successful the J's performed in main line freight service.  I would put late 1958 to early 1959 when J's began to be stricken from the roster and /or put into local freight service to run out their last miles.

-Rick Morrison
  Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:23 PM
  Subject: Re: Automatic train control - Shenandoah Division