Pocahontas Sleeper (was NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 176, Issue 42)

Thu Aug 22 11:32:20 EDT 2019

Sorry my mistake on train numbers.  41-42, the Pelican had N&W dining
service Roanoke-Bristol.  17-18 the Birmingham Special was mostly head end
mail and express and one or two coaches by 1966.  By 1966 45-46, the
Tennessean was gone.

It's curious about the Powhatan Arrow's diner running Roanoke to Portsmouth.
It was later reinstated to Cincinnati, but westbound the diner was set out
at Claire yard and picked up there the next morning eastbound. This was an
effort to cut expense charges by Cincinnati Union Terminal.

--Rick Morrison

Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: Pocahontas Sleeper (was NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 176, Issue
42)