funny RR stories

Wed Aug 28 17:54:59 EDT 2019

Okay, here are a couple of my favorites, as told to me by my Granddad, Virginian engineer W.R. (Bill) Bloyd:
1. Granddad said that in the summer of 1924 (one of the hottest on record, as it turned out), he was firing on a work train headed east out of Victoria, when they came to a place where the heat had caused the rails to buckle outward, throwing the track out of gauge enough to derail the engine onto the ties between the rails. The train was doing about 30-35 MPH at the time the engine crunched down on the ties between the rails, at which time the engineer panicked and jumped off, leaving Granddad and the head-end brakeman on the engine. Granddad managed to get the train stopped, at which time he and the brakeman got off to assess the damage. The engineer was climbing back up the embankment some distance back, and was accosted by the irate conductor who grabbed him by the collar and loudly told him that "it's no damned wonder the damned Germans were so hard to whup, they musta had cowards like you fightin' 'em!"
2. Sometime back in the mid 1930's, a couple of the Virginian machine shop employees in Roanoke had gotten hold of a fairly large bobcat skin. They poked a very small hole in it, just enough to allow the end of a length of resin-coated rawhide to be passed through it, then tied a knot in each end. They stretched the skin across one end of a piece of terracotta pipe as tight as they could, and tied it off tight. Then they pulled the resin-coated rawhide through the hole,which produced a loud roar through the open end of the pipe. For several late nights, they drove around residential areas of Roanoke making that piece of pipe 'roar', which prompted a number of calls to the police about mountain lions and bears on the loose. As far as Granddad knew, they never got caught doing it.