Roundhouses in Roanoke

Thu Sep 19 13:35:38 EDT 2019

John

The roundhouse for the VGN was taken down in summer 1960 as per Abe Burnett’s slides. The two at 12th Street came down in 1934 just before year end from a file I have somewhere on them. The Shaffer Crossing one stood until about 1982, the passenger car one at Roanoke Shops is still standing, the one at the Shops turntable was still there, late steam era, like 1957, but I don’t know exactly when it was taken down.

Best
Ken Mller