Green Cove

Sat Oct 5 11:14:46 EDT 2019

I don’t know, Abe.

McNew kept a rather senior fireman for a long time before he retired.  If he was that much of an sOB I don’t know why a senior fireman would have stayed on the job.  And a real SOB wouldn’t have let me ride the 429 with him from West Jefferson to White Top with him on one fine day.  (Read “Twelve Wheels and a Scoop Shovel” in a long-ago issue of TRAINS Magazine.

And they didn’t work on a car limit on the Branch.  They worked on tonnage.  The M was rated for 325 tons from Taylor’s Valley to White Top and the two passenger cars probably accounted for 60 or 65 tons of that.

I was riding the train when he stalled above Taylor’s Valley one day, but it wasn’t tonnage.  He had an extra fireman who wasn’t cutting if.  Firemen who complained about his first-week treatment enjoyed their second week even less.

You may have forgotten that the whole crew – all senior men – figured they were due back in Bristol when they left Abingeon going south.  Joe knew full well that doing that required a fireman to work the whole day, going over N&W’s highest elevation twice.  Then, on the return trip, they had the two summits of wyndale Hill to cope with while trying to stay ahead of 45.  If Joe wore out his fireman, the whole ball game was lost.

I rather imagine that all that negative attitude toward McNew stemmed from personality more than any actual train-handling difficulties.  But like I said, McNew was always nice to me, and he didn’t have to be.

- Ed King