Information Help N&W Shop Goat #830

Mon Oct 14 07:44:47 EDT 2019

Mr burnett -

I don’t know what that was used for.  I never thought to ask anyone about it – indeed, I didn’t notice it until it was too late.

- EKing

Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2019 7:16 PM
To: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org
Subject: Re: Information Help N&W Shop Goat #830

Mr. King -

In your photo of the 830, what is the purpose of that piece of pipe with a capped end, laying atop, and longitudinal with, the pilot beam?

My first thought was that it looked like a very short carrier for a very short  "hot stick" in electrified territory.  But then I realized N&W steam engines did not carry hot sticks for work in electrified territory.

-- abram burnett

curious brakesman

Sent to You from my Telegraph Key
Successor to the MAGNETIC TELEGRAPH LINE of 1844