At the top - Ringing the DS from Whitetop - Hello, Mr. Duncan !

Wed Oct 23 13:52:55 EDT 2019

“Thanks to Senator Link for posting his very interesting photo of the ring combinations posted in the Green Cove Grand Union Terminal Station.”

Abram,

In case you don’t remember . . . the other famous Mr. Link (O. Winston that is) took a wonderful photo inside White Top Union Terminal station showing Mrs. Gladys Harriger at her agent’s desk. The photo (best version I have is plate 24 in ‘Life Along the Line’, also a smaller version is in ‘The Last Steam Railroad in America’ p.109) clearly shows two crank telephones, four message lines coming through the wall, and NO telegraph confirming just as you said in an earlier post . . .

“Well, Mr. Thieme's photo of the remains of the Whitetop turn-table also answers another question:  How many communications circuits were on the Abingdon Branch? There are four insulators on the pole.  Since we know that the Abingdon Branch, being built quite late, was operated by telephones rather than by telegraph, and that a telephone circuit requires two wires, we may deduce that there were two telephone circuits on the Branch.”

Nice observations!

John Garner, Newport VA