Roanoke Belt Line Right-of-Way Question

Fri Oct 25 22:24:07 EDT 2019

On 10/25/2019 9:28 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> The first fast-food *burger joint* I ever saw, and possibly the first
> one in Roanoke,  was located on Brandon Road, at the foot of the hill
> below the Towers, on the spot now occupied by the Kroger gas station;
> if memory serves, the burgers cost twenty cents.  One day I walked
> over from my newspaper route, purchased a burger, and quickly
> developed a dislike for greasy fast food.

Said "/burger joint/" was the "Burger Chef".  I was twelve when it
opened up. Up until then I couldn't stand a hamburger. Hot dogs were
what I lived on. Anyway, a friend's mother took us there for lunch and
they didn't have hot dogs, only burgers. However, they weren't your
normal fried hamburger. They were "Char-broiled" burgers. So, I tried
one and I fell in love with them!

Jimmy Lisle