Y-6 leases to Pennsy

Tue Dec 10 16:05:46 EST 2019

 I have a vague memory of the lease of Y6b's. Although not announced at the time, the original order of 17 Y6b's was intended to replace the electrics when the new Elkhorn tunnel was opened. Since delivery began in late 1948 and the tunnel didn't open until the summer of 1950, they actually had a surplus of Y's for a year and a half. So they could afford to lease some to the Pennsy. I never wondered why they would lease practically new engines, but I guess N&W figured a Y was a Y, and they maintained them all to the same standard.
Jim Nichols

 I just received my latest issue of The Keystone magazine from the PRRT&HS. There is an interesting article about leased engines the Pennsy used at times. Most interesting was that they leased 5 Y class engines from the N&W during 1950-51. Total news to me. Apparently they leased a Y-6  and 4 Y-6b's which were virtually new engines. This info was new to me and I found it even more amazing the N&W let 3 virtually new Y-6b's leave the property for something like that. Knowing how the Pennsy beat leased engines half to death I would have thought they would let them have older engines. Learn something new every day!

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works