Last Steam Run Abingdon Branch

Thu Dec 12 11:59:09 EST 2019

John,

The Bristol line was dieselized on 1 January 1958; no steam was used on the line after that except for a little out of Radford for the Huckleberry.

I don’t have a date for the last steam run on the Creeper.  The M 429 was scrapped on 6 December and the 382 on 20 December 1957, both being scrapped in Roanoke.  I do know that diesels were being used on the Creeper before the 1st of January changeover.

Bud Jeffries