Peavine pole line

Sat Dec 28 11:27:38 EST 2019

Was walking the Peavine yesterday and found a few code line poles still
standing, and had some observations/questions.  The first attached photo
shows the complete top of the pole.  The second photo shows the lower
(longer) cross arm.  This arm has several glass insulators and I suspect
these were for the lines that carried operational information for signals
and switches.  What other information would have been on these lines?  Were
there telephone/voice lines?  The next photo shows the upper (shorter)
cross arm with two ceramic insulators.  You can see the green wire that was
used to secure the line to the insulator.  The last photo shows the very
top of the pole with a ceramic insulator on a metal extension mounted to
the top of the pole.  The similarity of the top three insulators leads me
to think these carried three-phase power.  If this is the case, what
voltage was transmitted?.  Finally there is the somewhat "Z" bent extension
to carry the lightning protection ground wire.  If my speculation about
power is correct then I further conjecture that the ground wire would need
to be spaced from the top phase conductor to prevent arcing.  Any
corrections/additional information will be greatly appreciated.
Jim Cochran