Field Trip to Rorer Mines

Tue Jan 21 09:46:59 EST 2020

On Saturday, five gents of the NWHS, along with my wife Wendy, assembled at
the Home Depot parking lot in Roanoke to begin a morning field trip into
the old Rorer Iron Mine site. Unfortunately, one person had to drop out due
to the extreme cold weather. For those remaining, it was very rugged
terrain ahead, and we faced a constant threat of rain at any moment. After
a preliminary history lesson in the parking lot from yours truly, our Ridge
Runner (John Garner) led the charge up and down the pits and ridges — until
we covered nearly every aspect of this steep area.

The total site is a combination of private and public lands. I am in
contact with the owner who plans to start developing his portion of the
property very soon. He gave me permission to take people on his land before
they start to remove the new-growth tree canopy. Fortunately, most of the
mine pits are still on public land, and may be accessible through the
Chestnut Ridge trail section for many years to come.

Our take for the day included some really neat photos, a few scraps
including two iron bolts, and a rusty rail spike from the old narrow gauge.

Stephen Warren - Roanoke