CPL signals and how they operate

Fri Jan 24 09:46:33 EST 2020

Abram, I guess we will have to disagree about whether speed signaling or route signaling is superior. While speed signaling provides more information, I much prefer route signaling as it avoids the need to slow down more than the track requires in order to conform with the speed required by the signal. I spent six years commuting in the Chicago area on the former Milwaukee Road which uses route signaling which IMHO, is a good thing as the MILW liked 40mph turnouts (they’re all either 40, 25, or 10). Trying to make that work with speed signaling, assuming Medium = 30 and Slow = 10, would me Medium Clear or Approach over a 40mph turnout and giving up an extra 10mph, Slow Clear or Approach over a 25mph turnout and also giving up 10mph), and I guess you could only use Restricting over the 10mph turnouts. Of course, you could define Medium speed to be 40 and slow to be 25 but you’d still have an issue with those 10mph crossovers.

Route signaling does require that the engineer be aware of the route (reading the track if needed) when there are multiple routes possible at different speeds. Unfortunately, and it caused loss of information, the Milwaukee used diverging signals at converging points (something the N&W did not) - by that I mean, at a junction where two tracks converged into one (and there was no diverging option at all), they’d still use a diverging signal on the inferior track even though a non-diverging signal was not possible. On my commute, there was a point where we’d always get Diverging Clear but there were two possible routes we might take depending on traffic - through a 10mph crossover from track 2 to track 3 and then around a 15mph curve or hold track 2 and then around the 15mph curve before converging with another line (the reason for the diverging signal). If the latter, you could hold the 70mph track speed an extra quarter-mile before needing to comply with the speed restriction. And, you guessed it, one morning, our engineer thought we were holding track 2 and took that 10mph crossover way too fast (that junction has subsequently been resignalled with the one interlocking split into three so that problem cannot no longer occur - but it would not have occurred if the Milwaukee had not used diverging signals at converging locations). BTW, for those who are familiar with the MILW, this was at A-5 (Pacific Jct.) which is now A-5, A-6, and B-6.

OTOH, at another location, Metra (as owner of the ex-MILW lines), expanded an interlocking (B-12) and ended up with some signals that needed to display a Diverging signal for both 25 and 40mph routes. At this one, they went with multiple aspects - Red over Green over Red for the 40mph routes and Red over Red over Green for the 25mph routes - and covered by at timetable special instruction (one of the more interesting things about these routes is Metra owns it, employs the train and engine crews for their trains, and even employs some of the tower and consolidated control center operators but CP officially dispatches it (from Minnesota) and it’s covered in a CP employee timetable).

To your second point, my note yesterday made reference to the non-standard signals we had at Sandusky. They had been left in that intermediate converted state mentioned last night by Rick Stone (no relation) - red for the horizontal, lunar (Rick called it yellow but I always thought they were lunar) for everything else. They were non-standard but not covered in the timetable. The rationale I was given is they were only seen by yard crews and everyone concerned knew what they meant.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com