S-1a whistle

Thu Jan 30 19:11:48 EST 2020

 Based on photos in Bud Jeffries' book, N&W Giant of Steam, the S1's while on C&O had a relatively short-belled single note whistle.  After being put in service on N&W, the ex-C&O switchers have the standard N&W long bell freight whistle.  The S1a's were built with the standard N&W freight whistle.  This seems to be relatively consistent, again based on the photos.  The difference in length is very apparent.

Dave Stephenson

 I don't know. I have some recordings of 0-8-0's switching the Roanoke passenger station but naturally, no whistle use. I vaguely remember someone saying they were different than the hooters used on the larger steamers and smaller engine whistles like on 475. I was "talking" along time ago with a C&O fan and he said the S-1a used a copy of the S-1 whistle from the C&O. Supposedly a bit more appealing than those used on most M's.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works

 I thought it was a standard N&W freight whistle.

Sincerely,Joseph Congemi