Virginian PA locomotive speed

Sat Feb 8 11:21:12 EST 2020

Lore has it that one of the Milwaukee Road F-7 84” drivered Hudsons on its way from the builder at Schenectady stopped by the PRR test plant at Altoona and achieved driver RPM equivalent to 140 MPH – 560 RPM.

I don’t know of any locomotive speed “records” that weren’t based on some kind of unreliable information.  N&W 610’s test runs on the PRR were based on the locomotive’s speedometer and there is no record of anyone checking it on a test mile.  Checking a speedometer on mileposts is iffy, too; there’s no guarantee that the mileposts were exactly 5280 feet apart.

But maybe it’s better this way.  Generations of fans can argue about this one or that one and nobody can claim absolute proof..  You can make plausible excetions to any given “speed record” that nobody can deny.

I’d have to list those Milwaukee Road Hudsons and 84” Atlantics as probably the ones that, day to day, spent more time over 100 MPH than anybody else.  I know that the Santa Fe and Chicago and North Western both had 84” engines, but neither had the schedules that demanded 100-plus running every trip.  Between Chicago and Milwaukee, they had just a certain amount of time to make the 85-mile run, and did it under all kinds of weather conditions, including pea-soup Lake Michigan fogs; all they had was a little green light on the cab signals.  I’ve often thought that those engine crews had to have cast-iron testicles to get out there and let her rip when they couldn’t even see the front of the engine.

The late Bill Withuhn was the first one to doubt NYC 999’s record on the basis that the engine couldn’t develop enough horsepower to accomplish its feat.

- Ed King