Signal aspect deviations

Sat Feb 8 13:41:54 EST 2020

No, we're not talking CPL's here.  East of Cleveland onthe Lake Erie Division, there are three GRS searchlightsignals that display a flashing green for CLEAR (Rule 281)and a flashing yellow for APPROACH (Rule 283), Although theseaspects don't appear in rule books, they are in Lake ErieTime Table #1 eff. 03/01/1981 special instructions.
Why  ?  Because the flashing aspects make a cleardistinction between N&W signals and those of the parallelingCleveland Rapid Transit.  Item 128(b) in the time table isinteresting also - " When trains or engines are stopped onthe eastward track, between 75th Street and Doan Avenue,East Cleveland, employees, before alighting from the southside, should make sure no trains are closely approachingon the adjacent Rapid Transit track. "   That's how closethe two right-of-ways are. Check it out during the 2020 N&WHSconvention..
WJPowers -- my selection for "Mr. East 55th Street" would beHarry Cumbow.  One day he's in yard service and the nextday, he''s a Trainmaster.  His wife had to take him to J. C.Penneyto select a suit, because he didn't own one.   Harry Bundy