Time Zone example

Wed Feb 19 18:12:44 EST 2020

These days, a train number such as “201” is merely a marketing number. I’m not aware of any railroad running an old-style timetable and train order operation so I doubt 201 appears in any employee timetable as a scheduled train where the schedule confers authority to operate the train with inferior trains required to clear 201’s schedule. As such, for operating purposes, it is simply an Extra (as is virtually every other freight train these days) and it is officially known as Extra ZZZZ West where ZZZZ is the leading locomotive number. When this extra is given authority to operate, such authority extends no father than the limits of that division or district (the limits of the area dispatched by one dispatcher). It is officially a different train (regardless of what it commonly known as) when it moves into the next division or district.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com