N&W Clocks

Thu Feb 20 19:24:03 EST 2020

This is a photo of my great grandfather’s “Bunn Special,” made by the Illinois Watch Company.  He was a N&W engineer responsible for passenger service between Hagerstown, MD and Shenandoah, VA in the 20’s and 30’s.  He died of a heart attack at the YMCA house during a layover in Shenandoah, VA in 1937.  Oral history says he fell on this watch when he died, hence the face damage.  I do not know if it was issued by N&W or purchased.  Sears got its start selling watches to engineers in 1886, when railroads demanded engineers carry “approved” watches following a terrible train accident in 1891 that was the result of poor timekeeping.  One can assume this trend would have continued well into the 20th century.  N&W would not have wanted to take on such an expense unless they were force to.  I am not aware of any government regulation that required the reimbursement for the purchase cost of “lever set” and “certified” watches.

Blair Miller
Herndon, VA