Visit to 611 and Spencer

Mon Feb 24 20:54:06 EST 2020

Sarah and I visited Spencer over the weekend and were lucky enough to get a
cab tour of 611. I would highly recommend this to anyone that hasn't done
this before. The folks that did the info session and then the tour are all
outstanding. They are the folks that did restoration and are now part of
the crew for 611.

They mentioned 2 things that I suspect the folks one this list will be
interested in. First, there are no plans for 611 to move. No excursions,
etc. There was some speculation that it might move up to Roanoke for an
anniversary celebration in May? June? Second was that they are absolutely
of the belief that 2156 will be going back to St. Louis at some point.

I did have a question about 611 however. Virtually all of the video I saw
of 611 showed an additional water tank car behind the tender. (The A tank?)
I understand why that might be needed for today. Probably not nearly as
many spots to water up these days. But was this also typical back in the
day? I assume that if it was, it would be the longer haul passenger lines
like the Powhatan Arrow, the Pocohantas, and the Cavalier.

I finish with a quick picture of me in the cab. :-)

Thanks,
Tom Fulton
Asheville, NC
[image: IMG_20200222_171937_01.jpg]