Twelve Pole Line: Telegraph Calls ?

Wed Feb 26 08:44:44 EST 2020

1897 Scioto Div TT between Gray and Kenova.

Book “Norfolk & Western in West Virginia – 1881-1959” (available from commissary) notes on page 182:

On Dec 2, 1904, Bluefield Daily Telegraph noted N&W could not open Big Sandy Line because it did not have telegraph operators who could act as operator, ticket agent and freight agent at new stations. There were nine men studying telegraphy in Lexington KY, But there training was incomplete. The N&W reported that it planned to transfer operators from the 12 Pole Line to the Big Sandy Line. Passenger service started on the Big Sandy Line on Jan 22, 1905.

Alex Schust