Lamberts Point

Tue Mar 10 09:57:27 EDT 2020

Upon re-reading my message I need to tell you to replace "secession"
with "succession."  I don't know where my mind and typing fingers were
at that time.

As long as I am sending the above correction I might as well tell of an
experience that I had on Pier 4 at Lamberts Points in my early career
with the N&W.  I was sent to the 38th St. Car Shop, which serves
Lamberts Point, to look into a project there.   This was before Pier 6
was constructed and both Pier 4 and 5 were still in service.  I had the
occasion to ride the Pier 4 elevator in company with an electrically
powered conveyor car ladened with 70 tons or more of coal being raised
to the deck high above the ship that was to receive the coal load.  From
the top of that pier I had a great view of the entire Lamberts Point
operation.

Gordon Hamilton