ACL R-1

Fri Mar 13 08:09:38 EDT 2020

Hello all,
Many thanks for the answers to my question regarding R-1s on the N&W.  I
knew the R-1s had problems that Baldwin attempted to cure and they later
went into freight use.  I was hoping that one may have crossed onto the N&W
at the Petersburg connection and they were also scrapped via the N&W.
Obviously they may have been scrapped at Birmingham and the tenders sold
via a dealer. I will have to bend the truth a bit to run on my layout, what
is a good looking engine that runs well and was cheap.
.
My layout is circa 1953 as I have a W2 and Y6b no 2200, the W2s were
scrapped by 1953 and 2200 was built in 1952.  Living in the UK video's and
books provide most of the information on the N&W and I would like to thank
Ed and Bud for there excellent books and the late Winston Link without whom
the N&W would be just another fallen flag.

I count myself lucky that I have seen both 1218 and 611 run, but would have
loved to have seen a Y on a coal train.

Hopefully virus free,
Richard Hood