N&W 2-6-2

Sat Apr 4 23:24:59 EDT 2020

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020, at 10:42 PM Frank wrote:

Digging this up also led me to another fact.  The reasons for the VAC and
> the camelback were a pocket of anthracite coal in Southwestern Virginia.
> (Anthracite?).  There were at least two anthracite mines on the Virginian,
> and at least one on the N&W.  On CoalCampUSA if you find Raleigh County,
> Virginia, there's a picture of an anthracite breaker that, to my eye, looks
> like it belongs in Eastern Pennsylvania.

The anthracite coal in Southwest Virginia is in Montgomery County and
Pulaski County and there were multiple mines in both counties. It outcrops
in Price Mountain south of Blacksburg and Brush Mountain north of
Blacksburg, and Little Walker Mountain north of Pulaski. Merrimac Mine
(which is why the Virginia Anthracite Coal & Railway Co. came into
existence) is the most well-known. Big Vein was a mine in McCoy while there
was another large mine across the river in Parrott. The Altoona Mine was
north of Pulaski, served by a branch line that ran from downtown to the
mine.

Bruce in Blacksburg