Winston-Salem Passenger Trains at Roanoke

Tue Apr 7 18:29:58 EDT 2020

Glenn,

I will defer to others to may have a larger data base than mine. But I recall riding the Winston Salem train once, it was on a Sunday not long before it was discontinued about 1961.

The train consisted of a Tuscan red GP9, a baggage/mail car and a coach (non-streamlined).  It backed out of the station to the west, switched tracks, and then proceeded around the wye to the Winston Salem line. I don’t recall what the returning route at the station was.

     Ray Smoot