Bellpaire Boiler

Thu Apr 30 09:08:07 EDT 2020

Mr. Getz,

I can't answer your specific question but an on-line search of the
N&WHS Archives (nwhs.org) produced these results:

Class M (original)
https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/listdocs/select.php?index=rs&id=190

*Norfolk & Western Railway, Pocahontas Coal Carrier* by Richard Prince,
Class M (original) were built new by Baldwin in 1883.

He also indicates Class D 4-6-0 were built new with Belpaire type firebox
by Rogers in 1899, Nos. 38 - 41.

Class D https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/listdocs/select.php?index=rs&id=165

In addition, N&W acquired additional ten wheelers built by Baldwin in 1892,
designated Class U, Nos. 71 - 85; these were originally Vauclain Compound
design, later converted at Roanoke Shops to simple; they also had the
Belpaire firebox.

Class U https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/listdocs/select.php?index=rs&id=243

In Prince's book there is a photo of a Class L 4-6-0 that also appears to
have the Belpaire firebox; the three locomotives in the class, Nos.126-128
were built by Roanoke Machine Works in 1884.

Class L https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/listdocs/select.php?index=rs&id=189

Prince mentions in his book the Belpaire firebox was very popular with N&W
in the late 19th century.  I hope some of this information helps and hope
that others on the list can provide more information to you.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD