Y3 Proto 2000

Tue May 5 09:49:29 EDT 2020

Before the bitter end, when Js were fitted for A-tanks, they were only used
on 2100s and As.  An exception to this were the Js used on Columbus District
77 and 78.  Lore has it that one extremely cold night the J on 78 ran out of
water because the connection to the A-tank froze solid.

  The most unusual use of A-tanks was on the E-2s used on the Clinch when it
was desired to quit maintaining water facilities when freight service was
dieselized.  In one of the videos the 578 is shown slipping trying to get
out of Bluefield, Va. with an A tank.  I'll bet they had a good time trying
to get up Bull Mountain with the extra tonnage . . .

On his second book of locomotive plans, Bob Hundman had a painting on the
front cover depicting a 2000 with an A-tank.  It was not a photograph.

The official name for these was "canteen", but that term was seldom heard on
the road; the folks called them "A-tanks".
'
- Ed King