Info on Train 5 request

Fri May 8 00:05:50 EDT 2020

As you folks know, I’m working on the Train 5 CD but have run into a few places I can’t pin down in the notes from the man who did the recordings. Unfortunately, he is no longer with us so I hope some of the Clinch Valley experts can fill me in. Also, I sent the original tapes to a professional studio for new transfers from the original recordings to digital. The results are much better than my own transfers. Anyway, I’m looking for info as listed below.

From Reel 1, the recording begins with the departure from Bluefield, VA (not WV). After starting, the train stops 3 minutes later for 1 minute before continuing on. Can anyone explain this as there is no station listed there in the timetable.

In Reel 4, there are stops at stations shown in Bill’s notes as “Maxwell” and “Cliffside” between Tazewell and Pounding Mill. Neither of these are shown in the timetable.
What are these stops? Did train 5 make stops not shown in the timetable?

In Reel 9, which has no notes to explain the action, the train is working up grade at a slow pace, goes through two tunnels, crests the grade and gains speed before stopping at a station about 10 minutes later. Can anyone ID where this most likely takes place?

Hopefully, I’ll wrap up this project in a couple of weeks.

I still need a good photo of Pacific 578, preferably on Train 5 but even a good roster shot will do.

Thanks in advance.
Jim Herron