more on Abingdon Branch passenger

Sun May 17 12:35:13 EDT 2020

I have a theory about an extra passenger car on the Abingdon Branch train.  Could this have been  provided on that day for a special group?  The branch received wide spread publicity by the mid 1950's.  For one example, the Baltimore Sunday Sun magazine did a feature on the branch.  A combine would be ideal for railfan use.  A BPe combine could seat 44. I know that on one or more occasions in the 1950's the Hagerstown Model Railroad Club sponsored a trip to Roanoke and N&W provided a coach exclusively for them.  The coach was set out the previous night on train 2.  The party were allowed to board the coach in the evening in advance of train 1's arrival at 12:55 am from Harrisburg (PRR #645).
N&W 1 and 2 (PRR 645-638) were actually Roanoke-Harrisburg trains except for a power and crew change and postal car set out in Hagerstown.  In my collection, I have a mimeographed menu N&W printed up for a fixed price dinner in the dining car for one of their trips.  Sadly, I was way to young to have been along.

Photo NW-68K page 78 from "Last Steam Railroad in America" O. Winston Link and Thomas Garver. Harry N. Abrams 1995.  On page 77 the same train is at a water stop at Creek Junction.

--Rick Morrison