Cabooses and unit trains

Tue May 26 10:18:35 EDT 2020

Can't necessarily speak to the N&W but L&N was running unit trains to US Steel in Gary IN as early as the late-60s.  I believe they also had dedicated unit trains to River Rouge via DT&I as well starting around the same time.
Cabooses lasted into the 1980s, depending on local law requirements.  I think it was a state by state requirement.
Josh Blevins Charlotte, NC704-576-8134

    When was the use of cabooses ended?

   When did unit coal trains begin?  Were any used for export trade thru Lamberts Point?  For transfer to barges at Kenova?   To US Steel at Gary?  Any customers other than electric generating stations?
   Glenn Fisher
   Cornwall PA  (one time the site of the largest iron ore source in the world)