N&W Passenger train consists

Tue Jun 2 21:20:23 EDT 2020

The Norfolk-New York sleeper was routed on N&W's Cannonball #21-22 Norfolk to Richmond via Petersburg.  From Petersburg to Richmond the train ran on ACL tracks, but with N&W power all the way to Richmond.  The train, sleeper and a coach, actually terminated in Richmond.  The sleeper was handled to Washington in an RF&P train, thence to New York in a PRR train. The last timetable with the New York sleeper was April 24,1966.  By the next timetable October 30, 1966 the through coach to Richmond was still running.  In the April 1967 time 21-22 were gone, but the timetable showed a connection at Petersburg for Richmond via The Pocahontas #3-4, but you had to take a taxi to get from the N&W station to the ACL station.  Overnight travel time New York-Richmond was 11 to 12 hours.  For many years 21-22 ran combined with main line trains 15-16 between Norfolk and Petersburg. At stations where there were moves from one railroad/train to the other an average of an hour was taken up for that.

--Rick Morrison