unusual signals

Sun Sep 20 10:12:38 EDT 2020

Colonel Cochranov, Excellency:

I believe that is the Joyce Avenue Yard Office (which was a real monster) in Columbus, in the background. I only worked into and out of Columbus for two months, and my nearly-sixty-old memories may deceive me, but my vote is for 'Lumbus.

If I am correct, that view looks eastwardly and the engine has come in off "the Valley" (the the Portsmouth-Columbus territory.) The back-to-back PL signals may be used as humping signals. Out-of-sight to the left is the "P-Company" (i.e. PRR) yard, which may have been called Penoir (the etymology of which word I never understood)... I just can't remember for sure.

Your Obedient Servant &c,

-- abram burnett
#1 Man on the Fuddy-Duddy Roster