Suspected Rorer Dinkies

Mon Oct 26 14:27:16 EDT 2020

Jim

I responded to Stephen off list after seeing his post.

I think indeed those are the same locomotives, I have a photo identical, or at least very close to this one.

As our resident Salem expert (hah!) I can say that they are located on the Salem Foundry property just east of the passenger station. The main reason I know that is simple, there is an N&W company photo of a westbound time freight taken about the same time from the Colorado Street bridge, and you can see the little dinkys on the siding there. Obviously, it was not the feature of the photo, which I have somewhere, but not scanned apparently, as it does not show up in my file of JPEGs.

I don’t know the story of how/why they ended up in Salem, however, I’ve never heard that the tannery had any of its own locomotives. Since the track in the tannery was standard gauge and honestly not that much track, I kind of wonder about the need for their own power.

Best
Ken Miller