back in the day

Tue Feb 2 20:59:22 EST 2021

It would not have been on the mainline, but the trains coming out of
Coalwood, WV in the 30's and 40's didn't do anything special to build up
speed going downhill. Dad grew up in Coalwood and it was well known that
the afternoon train with about 100 full hoppers returning to Iaeger
(Auville Yard) would coast down to the mainline. Those trains would be much
quieter than normal and Dad said that you had to be careful or the train
would sneak up on you. This may be later than you are asking about, but I
suspect that the habits would not have changed.

Tom Fulton
Asheville, NC