Steam Doubleheaders

Sun Feb 7 15:29:32 EST 2021

I remember the coal trestle near the Durham shop, but I recall that it
was a private trestle for transferring coal from a railway car to an
automotive truck.  When I worked in Durham, the locomotives were
refueled by a Norfolk style skip hoist (which I operated many times)
whose bucket was fed from two below-the-track hoppers (whose discharge
doors I opened and closed many times) on the two  tracks where coal cars
were spotted (one track for yard coal and one track for road coal--both
of which coal types I often had to manually coax from the cars by
pounding on the sides with a mallet or by prying the coal loose with a
long pole that I would poke downward into the coal after climbing on top
the coal pile in the car.)  No coal shakers here.

This brief  detail about just one phase of servicing may give an idea of
the work required when a large locomotive, such as a Y class, showed up
in a small shop with limited staff like Durham.

Gordon Hamilton