Lynchburg & Durham

Sat Feb 13 10:50:54 EST 2021

 On Saturday, February 13, 2021, 10:02:49 AM EST, Glenn Fisher <springhouse19 at comcast.net> wrote:

Frank:

Can you tell me if mixed trains Nos. 71 and 72 between Lynchburg and Durham in 1955 carried any mail. One of the towns they served was Nathalie VA, site of the largest rural mail route in US. Thanks!

Glenn

Good morning, Glenn:

No mail was carried on trains 71 and 72 during 1955. I have attached a schedule table for the LYNCHBURG & DURHAM RPO during 1954 when trains 35 and 36 had a 15-feet apartment RPO operating daily except Sundays. By March 1955, the mail was transferred to the LYNCHBURG & DURHAM STAR ROUTE which was a highway-only service making all of the stops formerly made by the train.

Best wishes, stay warm, and keep well,

Frank