Steam Pusher Engines

Sun Feb 28 15:03:48 EST 2021

Bruce is correct. However, I’ve never seen any evidence that pushers were assigned there, it was more of a set out track for bad orders, or on the off chance a pusher was needed westbound, the normal pusher from Boaz would push east, then cut off near Irving, would get a signal, then back through the crossover and could go into the siding as needed. Operations here can be really complex, as there were many options to handle a westbound pusher, but that would depend a lot on the approaching westbound, passenger traffic and other trains needed to clear. Crossovers werre located east of the middle track at Montvale and at Irving. Basically the foot of a short grade is just east of Irving by about a mile and a half, but the westbound would have crested the grade and ready to start the heavier climb that began just east of Montvale.

Regarding pushers on passenger trains on the N&W, never saw evidence of such. If the train was high profile, it would be doubleheaded or broken into two or more sections. Doubleheading in the late steam era was generally not so much because of a heavy train, but a power move to get a locomotive in position to handle a special train and prevent the wear and tear on the locomotive brake shoes running light.

Best
Ken Miller