Steam Pusher Engines

Mon Mar 1 10:49:01 EST 2021

Bruce is correct. However, I’ve never seen any evidence that pushers were assigned there, it was more of a set out track for bad orders, or on the off chance a pusher was needed westbound, the normal pusher from Boaz would push east, then cut off near Irving, would get a signal, then back through the crossover and could go into the siding as needed. Operations here can be really complex, as there were many options to handle a westbound pusher, but that would depend a lot on the approaching westbound, passenger traffic and other trains needed to clear. Crossovers werre located east of the middle track at Montvale and at Irving. Basically the foot of a short grade is just east of Irving by about a mile and a half, but the westbound would have crested the grade and ready to start the heavier climb that began just east of Montvale.

Ken:By my recollection, Irving had a capacity of two cars -- conveniently located near acountry store where crews laying over could get sodas and home-made sandwiches.                                                                  Harry Bundy