Drawing Office Force of 1884

Mon Mar 15 16:45:48 EDT 2021

Recently Wayland Moore posted an url  (hhtp://www.virginia room.org/digital/collections/show/49) for some fascinating early photos. As I was scanning through them I encountered one that was familiar to me. Photo HNWR403 is a photo of the men working in the drawing office. This photo is in R.P.C. Sanderson's Photo Album #1 and he entitled it "the drawing office force in October 1884." He named all nine men in the photo including the two not named in HNWR403, with two slight variations. He calls Mr. Woods, Mr. Groves. Both names are associated with trees, so . . . one or the other sources is close. The other is the spelling of the last name Bispham. R.P.C. ends with an "m" while HNWR403 ends with an "n". I haven't tried to check up on these men to verify the spelling.

Unfortunately I am not well versed in all things digital. I tried to take my scan of R.P.C.'s photo and tag all the names to the right gentlemen but I was not able to cut and paste the results into this email. But, if you follow these instructions you can make the connections. I have included a list of the nine names in the order in which the man's face appears if you simply move from left to right and pay no attention if he is in the front, middle or back row. Simply move your finger across the photo like a ruler and count the faces in order.

1.  J. Worthington

2. F. Sheffer

3. C. Jacobson

4. J. H. Grove

5. R. Ridley

6. H. Sellers

7. M.O. Bellingrodt

8. G. J. Worthington

9. Servetus Bispham

I recognize one other photo of early employees and I'll try to find R.P.C.'s photo with all the names. Perhaps by then my skill level will have grown.

Peter R. R. Getz

Half way between the Pecos and Mississippi Rivers