Important Trash Train News

Sat Apr 10 11:25:19 EDT 2021

Bruce, You hit the nail on the head! As you state, this decision makes
no environmental sense. I'm curious how many trucks per day it will take
to replace one train movement.

John Garner,  Newport VA

Pretty shortsighted on both sides of the operation. Norfolk Southern had
a steady income stream from this train but got greedy and jacked up the
price (perhaps on purpose because some bean counters saw a low rate of
return for stockholders and wanted to drop it). The resource authority
just added to the mess that is I-81 by adding multiple tractor-trailers
to an already crowded highway (how happy will people be to be stuck next
to a full trash truck on a hot July day when traffic is at a standstill
for the "wreck of the day"?). While the tracks to the landfill will
become a roadway, trucks will still need to get from the exit to the new
road, traversing a narrow and curvy stretch of the Ironto road. Dumb all
the way around.

Bruce in Blacksburg