End of N&W Passenger Service and the beginnings of Amtrak

Thu May 20 12:29:17 EDT 2021

Thanks for the compliments Shawn, it is much appreciated. I am hoping to frequently have some bonus material for members only in the future.

Amtrak did not operate trains on any N&W trackage, except perhaps as a detour move until March 24, 1975, with the inauguration of the “Mountaineer” which was a Norfolk-Chicago daily train via the N&W to Kenova, the switched over to the C&O at Tri-State Station (Catlettsburg, KY), and continued to Cincinnati via the C&O, then on to Chicago.

The Mountaineer was never a success, and in 1976 was being considered for some schedule changes and reequipped with Amfleet cars. The drastic cold winter in Chicago in February 1977 caused many Amtrak steam-heated conventional cars to freeze up, and the Mountaineer was discontinued for a time, but returned with Amfleet equipment.

It would be discontinued on May 31, 1977 and replaced with an Amfleet-equipped “Hilltopper” that ran from Washington DC to Catlettsburg, Kentucky. A train to nowhere, basically, was referred to as the “City of Nowhere” by some. On January 8, 1978, it was combined with the “Night Owl” and still ran to nowhere. It was discontinued on October 1, 1979 as part of budget cuts ending service on N&W lines until the inauguration of the Northeast Regional train on October 31, 2017 to Roanoke.

I might also put this in as a follow-up to the story in the next Arrow.

Best
Ken Miller