N&W Roanoke Shops sign -- Status Report

Wed May 26 12:43:04 EDT 2021

As followers of this blog know, I volunteered to explore potential supply options for a N&W Roanoke Shops HO-scale sign that might be sold through the N&W Historical Society commissary.  This is a status report:  some good news and some less good news.

Miller Engineering confirmed that they will be reissuing the “diesel-era” style N&W Roanoke Shops sign this summer!  That’s the good news.  I requested a wholesale price (and min. order size) on the reissued diesel-era sign in case the Society might have an interest (perhaps via a pre-order process).

Bad news:  Miller Engineering has no plans to issue the steam-era sign unless someone wants to commission a run of at least 500.   I requested a price, but anticipate the minimum order size would be prohibitive.

I have been in touch with an HO-scale modeler who can make an unlighted steam-era N&W Roanoke Shops sign for us.  Might be an interesting option.  Lettering would be in red.  Superstructure in black.  I am waiting on a call back on pricing for a multi-sign run.  Original set up would be about $100.  After that, price is based on the cost of materials plus 20%.

If anyone knows of a potential source for obtaining the support structure in photo-etched metal, please let me know as the red plastic sign itself could be attached to the metal superstructure and that would probably be more realistic.

Bill D
N&W Steam Only