After an act of arson destroys historic site, McComb City Railroad Depot Museum picks up the pieces

Tue Jun 29 12:36:13 EDT 2021

All good points Roger but they should be  able to afford at least two trail cames.  They are cheap enough and maybe the insurance carrier has some money and plan available for security.

 Kenneth Borg   In a message dated 6/29/2021 12:32:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes: Norris, Good ideas on the sprinkler systems, cameras and all that. However, most museum groups I've been involved with don't have the finances to operate the museum let alone purchase these expensive items and maintain them. There are a few reasons they seem to be arson victims such as limited occupation as many don't have on-site personnel or have limited hours. They, being railroad structures, are often in less than nice areas which often attracts people who have little to do and enjoy things like that and aren't interested in history. Another thing to consider is with the usually very limited budget many things are handled by members. Many times these people aren't licensed electricians, plumbers, etc and the work is sloppy and not by code. These can lead to electrical shorts, fires and other damage. In an ideal world a museum trying to preserve something would have the needed things to preserve the structure and artifacts but that isn't normally the case. Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works  On Tuesday, June 29, 2021, 05:12:53 AM CDT, NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:  What makes railroad stations favorite targets for arsonists? In my opinion any historic structures need to have sprinkler systems, burglar alarms, on site cameras and protective fencing if possible. I don't know why so many don't have some type of fire suppression system. If they don't because of an outdated preservation rule regarding the idea that when the structures were originally built, they didn't have sprinkler systems, then it is thoughtless. I don't know what the rules are. Always report any suspicious activity you see around these structures. They're priceless. All aboard? Norris
Norris Deyerle

Blue Ridge Chapter, National Railway Historical Society Chairman of Virginia's Rail Heritage Region Partners

Info: www.blueridgenrhs.org

744 Chinook Place

Lynchburg, Virginia 24502-4908