Opinion from a concerned railfan about security systems in any historic structures. Fw: After an act of arson destroys historic site, McComb City Railroad Depot Museum picks up the pieces

Thu Jul 1 08:59:19 EDT 2021

 This is a great discussion, and great guidance. When we created the museum at the Rural Retreat Depot we recognized this need, and installed a security system that has many cameras, inside and outside, recording continuously; motion sensors, doors and window contacts, and smoke and water sensors. Keys and individual entry codes are limited to a few trusted agents, and door closing protocols are strictly enforced. The system is armed 24x7, and no one can get in without a key holder present.  Alarms are handled by a call center that notifies police (or fire, depending on the alarm), and then one of our volunteers, who goes over to follow up (usually in the middle of the night) after the police to inspect, lockdown, and reset. For example, just last week, a 2 AM alarm was triggered by a slide show on a tablet that we mistakenly left running overnight. Another example was a crepe paper streamer left hanging by a renter, that set off the motion sensor when the HVAC came on. We have never recorded a break-in attempt, but we do get about 2 or 3 false alarms per month. In summary, there is not only the cost of the security system, but there is also an ongoing requirement/cost for dedicated management, willing volunteers, and local police who appreciate the value of the Depot.
Frank Akers, PresidentRural Retreat Depot Foundation