Concrete Mile Posts ?

Thu Jul 22 08:31:57 EDT 2021

Mr. Burnett:

The N&W Std. Drawings book shows the original design dated May, 1916, with revisions in 1926 & 1961. They are cast in a wood form, probably at the Materials Yard in Roanoke, and then placed on-site. The original version shows the mile post location to be painted, to include a reflective material in the white paint, probably similar to the glass beads used in roadway striping. I am guessing that starting in 1961, NW replaced most, if not all of them system-wide with the location cast into them and then over-painted, as I have seen them on the VGN. They weigh ~900 lbs each and a fully intact one is 7'-6" long. The concrete whistle posts are much lighter.....

Not sure what the pre-1916 whistle posts are made of.

Hope this helps.

Russ Goodwin
Oakwood, GA