Concrete Mile Posts ?

Thu Jul 22 13:49:28 EDT 2021

Jimmy

I have no real clue. I know the standard drawing shows one thing, and your post another, so perhaps they were done according to the division standards. You can look at the early track charts or drawings and see that certain divisions showed the mileages from one point on one side and the other on the opposite side. Perhaps it was a divisional thing.

Since so much documentation is gone, we may never know.

The standard drawing attached L-142 is first dated May 29, 1916, was revised in September 30, 1926., and noted as issue 2, perhaps that was the change date.

Unfortunately, the motive power revision books do not give us the answer, as apparently the standards books came under the Chief Engineer’s office and a separate accounting, as there is no revision listed in the book for that date for L-142

It was further revised  on January 19, 1961 with the location changed, and on August 19, 1963 with the luminous letters and numerals added, which obviously did not last long.

Wish I had a better answer, this came from my 1940 standards book, so it was the earliest I had. I’m sure there is a future revision on changing back from luminous paint, but I have to dig through the books to find a later one.

Best
Ken Miller