VGN coal in 1953

Sat Aug 21 11:34:15 EDT 2021

Dear Rev. Fisher;

Sadly, going to law school in the 1980's didn't help this Cleveland
lawyer*/Crazy much with answering questions about VGN operations in the
1950's.  Again, I sure wish you had asked these questions 10 years ago.
The number of people who have good answers to operational questions was
higher than.  Although since some of the operational patterns still existed
past the merger, we should let Gordon and Harry, and some others, chirp in.

To the extent that my researches might help, a lot more coal ended up going
north, through the C&O and NYC, than we might think.  That excellent
picture of the "battleship gons" coming back empty from Rusell (KY)to
Gilbert, on the C&O) is presumably from coal that h the old T&OC dumpers
there.  Digging into what we've got, more coal did end up going to the
Great Lakes.  Yes, a lot of coal dumped into boats at Hampton Roads and
Sewells Point ended up going to Europe, South America(??), as well as New
England.

>From pictures and what we got from Tommy Marshall while we was alive we
know that some coal ended up going from mines on the Deepwater line, and
even some some of the mines east of Elmore/Mullens, to the marshalling yard
at Elmore, before going back the way it had come to Elmore.  One of the ops
guys would know a lot more about where and when the coal might have gotten
weighed or reweighed.

I'll continue to dig in some of the Annual Reports and such that I've got
while we wait for the guys who really know something to respond.  But
thanks for the opportunity to take a fun break from Society budgets and
stuff.

*Glenn is perhaps referring to a reference by H. Reid to deciphering some
of the joint trackage agreements VGN entered into.

Frank Bongiovanni