Smith Mountain Lake and the VGN ?

Wed Oct 6 15:49:59 EDT 2021

Abram,

Your negotiation to tell about your near step into oblivion stimulated
my porous memory about a similar mishap that occurred on the Pocahontas
Division many decades ago.  The victim was Bluefield Master Mechanic
Tucker (correct name?) who was on duty at a derailment when he boarded
the wreck train dining car for a meal.  It was after dark, and he was
unaware that the wreck train had moved while he was on board and that
the diner was siting on a bridge.  So, when he stepped off in the
darkness he fell to his death in the steam below (hopefully someone with
with better memory/notes can supply corrections/more details).

Gordon Hamilton