Size of Train Crews on N&W Passenger Trains ?

Thu Oct 7 12:50:55 EDT 2021

My source says seven.Jimmy LisleSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Date: 10/6/21  1:23 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: N&W Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Subject: Size of Train Crews on N&W Passenger Trains ?

   (Disambiguation:  "Train Crew" here means Conductor + Brakeman/Brakemen.  "Engine Crew," consisting of Engineman + Fireman, is something else.  Every train operated has both an Engine Crew and a Train Crew, and those are two different things.  But in today's modern world, there has probably been some slippage in the exactitude of the meaning of those terms.)

   On N&W passenger trains, Train Crew size was governed by an agreement.  On trains of less than 5 (I think) cars, Train Crew size was Conductor + 1 Brakeman.  On trains larger than that size, a second Brakeman was employed.

   (1)  Did I get the car count right... 5 cars ?

   (2)  How far back in time did this arrangement go?

   -- abram burnett

   Boolean Operator Turnips