Old Elkhorn tunnel

Tue Oct 26 20:29:06 EDT 2021

 From Cooper to Ruth the old line followed a completely different alignment from the new line. So none of the old line was "wiped out" by construction of the new line. The new bridge at Cooper turned slightly to the left from the old bridge, and the two lines only got farther and farther apart as they ascended to the east portals. The old tunnel was a straight shot.
Jim Nichols
    On Tuesday, October 26, 2021, 06:35:42 PM CDT, NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

 Can anyone overlay the route of the old Elkhorn tunnel onto current Google Map of the area?  As near as i can tell, Coaldale would have been at what is now shown as the SE terminus of the Coal Dale Mountain Road where it joins with route 15/3 Bramwell Coaldale Road.  From this point it would have headed SSE to a point that would have been Ruth which it seems would have been almost straight North of the East portal of the present-day tunnel.  What I am trying to reconcile is that the cleared path following what I believe to be the old route Westward to Ruth looks like it would have entered the East portal of the old tunnel heading nearly due North.whereas getting from there to Coaldale would have required a significant turn to the West.  Was the old Elkhorn tunnel a straight shot or was there curvature inside?  Also, I am under the impression that the original single-track main up to Ruth ran very close to the East portal of the present-day tunnel and from that point Eastward the original line was fairly well wiped out by the construction of the present-day line.  Is there anything left to indicate the route the original line would have taken would have taken from the East portal of the present-day tunnel on up to Ruth?All information/speculation will be appreciated,Jim Cochran________________________________________