Steam Question (NW Mailing List)

Thu Dec 2 19:58:15 EST 2021

It’s interesting that the Scioto River Valley has a solid line of full softening plants from Portsmouth to Columbus, whereas wayside automatic plants are interspersed with full softening plants all the way to Roanoke. Then solid wayside automatic plants from there to Norfolk.

I recall reading that Columbus was known for bad water due to the underlying limestone (once you get below the clays and ground moraine). The full plants had large settling tanks, which would make sense if the water has a lot of solids in it.

I’ll have to read the chapters on water treatment again (Johnson book and Maintenance Cyclopedias).

Matt